Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The King



I  feel the scorn
of others-


in which you bathed me
time and time again
the darkness of you
always choking

The cold swept through me
in your gaze, an illness I
cannot name only feel
the symptoms of your disease
which ate through my bones

and left me with a rabbit's heart,
seeing no escape when you
were struck down by the stone
and lay helpless-

Removed from your throne.

Once again
I rescued the King
who ruled his subjects
under a reign of terror
sending him far away to the healers
where no one knew
of the crown he wore-

 In the silent castle
 I heard the sound of my own voice
 as tyranny lay down its sword.



The others pointed and judged
when I protested your return
even as I screamed the truth
of your rule.


"What kind of Queen abandons
her King?"

"Treason!"

I stood fast in the desolation
as I watched the house of cards be
swept away by my words

Knowing if I tried to save you
this time-
 

I would die. 


 

8 comments:

  1. No one should have to rescue someone and then die themselves. No one should feel guilty about not performing that kind of rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire the use of the House of Cards - the characters, King and Queen, and the games played to outdo the other ~ Good to see in Dverse Lisa ~ Hope you are well ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the images you use - the house of cards - that carries a lot of emotion for me - and great use of metaphor as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. Castle Walls
    of heARt stone
    fortresspassing
    eYes of uS
    conNector
    Love..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The metaphor of the king and queen, the abuse, the scorn when truth is out... I get all those feelings... I hope you are well Lisa, and nice to have you back at dVerse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wasted time and emotional energy! Striking poem!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, please leave your comment below.